The Things I Took For Granted

Easter Sunday our church was able to meet all together in person. The worship was fantastic, but in the midst of it a thought struck me that leads to this blog post. In the midst of wonderful worship there was a tiny fraction of sadness for me. I can’t clap. Back home worship was very energetic, drums, clapping, dancing, and loud singing. So that is a big part of what I’m used to and for now with a paralyzed arm I can’t clap. So, that was one of the times that I miss having both hands. I use the American Sign Language sign for applause which is to raise your hand straight up and turn your wrist back and forth. But it’s not the same as clapping. 

So, that thought led me to this question. How many things are constantly taken for granted? 

I’m going to narrow that down to what I’m asking myself. What have I taken for granted? 

Because if we were going to look at the broader question truly, it is common in this moment where I am, for life to completely be taken for granted. Water, food, shelter, pretty much any life sustaining thing is taken for granted because many people haven’t experienced a lack of these things.  

So, putting aside the broader view. One thing I definitely used to take for granted was having full use of both arms and hands. Yeah, then my dominant arm got paralyzed. By the power of God, I have mostly learned how to make do without it. But I took it for granted that I would always have full use of all my limbs. This just goes to show that everything on this earth is temporary. 

Back home we couldn’t afford to take things like water and food for granted. Especially water. Towards the middle/end of dry season when the wells and rivers were drying up, we were rationing and praying for water just like everyone else in the country. Culturally back home the attitude was that everyone was grateful to wake up in the morning, to be alive that day. Food and water could not be taken for granted, though they are essential, excess food and water was treated as a luxury.   

I took comfort and familiarity for granted. After moving through four different countries, we moved to our last house in Sierra Leone, and I rooted myself as hard as I could. I was tired of moving and losing people, so I figured that if I settled myself down good in this house and set down as many roots as possible, that we wouldn’t leave easily or quickly. After living there for five years I didn’t think we would soon leave the comfort of constant familiarity. I had my family there. Which I also took for granted. Even the strongest of family ties can be divided. 

I took little things for granted. Morning sounds. Roosters crowing. Dogs. Goats and sheep. Birds and insects singing with the rising of the sun. The sounds of the village waking up. The sound of our back door being opened. Greeting and asking how each other slept. People walking down the street announcing what they were selling. The school bell calling kids to class across the street. The smells of dust, smoke from the morning fires, and breakfast mixing with the crisp morning air. I took different kinds of food for granted. Fresh fruits in their seasons. Imported food from Europe. Traditional rice and sauce dishes. I took the beach for granted. Days of swimming, playing in the sand, and more swimming. Always getting sunburnt. I took my church and Sunday school for granted. The praise and worship. The celebration. The fellowship afterwards. The dancing. I took community for granted. I was raised by a village of people. Culture is different here. I took the views of the ocean and the mountains for granted. 

And now that I’m here there probably will be things that I take for granted from here, but I’m hoping they will be less. 

Because every day is precious. 

Psalms 118:24 "This is the day that the LORD has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." 

Every person is precious. 

Genesis 1:27 "God made man in His own image."

Every situation is in God's control. 

Jerimiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

All these things to say. Stay thankful for what God has given you in the moment. Everything is temporary. Hold loosely to what is here on this earth. Cling to God and know that He will take care of your every need.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rooted

Savoring Pain

Lessons Learned After 5 Years with a Paralyzed Arm